WAIT! NO! - RE: When your day goes in the toilet

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sat, 21 May 2005 01:54:42 EDT

In a message dated 5/20/05 10:49:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
ivories.52@earthlink.net writes:

When you get an electronic device wet, for whatever  reason, and it was
turned on at the time, you will be lucky if it lives at  all. Almost all liquids
hold dissolved solids likes salts and minerals and a  whole bunch of other stuff
that is usually conductive. A wet device usually  dies when power is applied
to components that have contacts shorted out with  these dissolved conductive
solids. What happens is the contacts short out and  delicate components go
"paff", kablooie. If this were to happen to your  TV you would get sparks, smoke
and possibly fire. On a cell phone, a  PDA or a laptop it's just quietly dead.

Geoff,

Luckily my PDA was off.  I wasn't certain at the time it happened,  though.
I envisioned millions of tiny short circuits causing electronic  brain death.
I was ready to buy another one, actually, and I was  quite surprised when it
worked again.  It's completely back to  normal.

Thanks for the info,

Dave S.