First on-line images of the Overs-Kawai 200 grand piano

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sat, 28 May 2005 14:41:57 -0700

Ron:
=20
I=92d be curious to know (if it=92s not proprietary) how you altered the =
rib
scale design in order to produce longer sustain with smaller dynamic
range.
=20
David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net=20
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Overs Pianos
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 8:39 AM
To: Pianotech
Cc: Martin Cop
Subject: First on-line images of the Overs-Kawai 200 grand piano
=20
Hi all,
=20
I've just come through a couple of busy months. The last couple weeks
I've put in over 80 hours on tools per week, to get the Yamaha CF
rebuild out the door for its first concert tomorrow. Before that, we've
been building a new piano out of a Kawai KG5 case and plate, a
commission from pianist Gerard Willems, the concert pianist who recorded
the Beethoven piano works on the Stuart piano. The Overs-Kawai is for
his home studio. We are prepared to build further examples of the
Overs-Kawai 200 for FOB A$60,000 (plus 10% GST for local buyers).
=20
I'm pleased with the outcome of this design exercise, as I wanted to
create a piano with a long-ish sustain and a smaller dynamic range, to
produce an instrument more suited to a smaller studio. I believe the
power of our 225 piano is way too much for a small studio. I also wanted
to produce a studio instrument with a more economical finish than the
standard high gloss finish. After experimenting with a number of colour
mixes I arrived at a dark green (somewhat darker than British racing
green). A semi-gloss two pack polyurethane in the green was sprayed off
the gun.
=20
The new 200 cm piano also features an Overs action, two new struts from
the plate to the belly rail (originally there were none), a large sound
board cut-off and an I rib board. There is no treble cut-off in this
piano since it originally had a relatively small sound board area out
behind the bridge in the top treble bridge section. The bridges and
scale are a new design, with a nominal bridge height of 34 mm and a
width of 35 mm. All bridge caps are multi-laminated maple veneer glued
up with West System.
=20
Images can now be found at;
=20
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ronovers/overskawai1.jpg
=20
The sound board is made from solid sitka spruce and is fully rib crowned
and supported. It is darker in colour because we haven't bleached it.
The bass corner cutt-off is made from a hardwood-ply laminated sheet
which has a softer rock maple veneer top and bottom. The inside surface
of the outer rim was originally black, but the veneer underneath was
undamaged and with quite a nice figure, so we stained it and finished it
with acid cat lacquer at the same time as we sprayed the board top and
bridges. One of the nice things I like about grands where the pin block
is removable, is that you can respray the inner rim, sound board and
action bay with a clear finish coating in the one operation. This
approach allows us to avoid the typical 'straw-broom-finish' which
pervades most action bays. I remain unconvinced of the alleged superior
tuning stability of those designs in which the pin block and stretcher
rail is built integral with the case. I really like the Kawai KG6 as a
shell from which to build a decent small grand (especially the earlier
examples with the oak rims and back beams). I believe these instruments,
when rebuilt appropriately, will outclass a new S&S model B.
=20
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ronovers/overskawai2.jpg
=20
This image shows the treble string sections. There are no specific front
duplex lengths in this design. Any noisy duplex segments get a couple of
drops of glue along the duplex segment to detune the noise. The typical
Kawai half-round-chromed rear stringing pillow has been substituted with
a hardwood antarctic beech strip, which is profiled in thickness to
achieve the desired downbearing settings (I prefer to set the
downbearing by varying the stringing pillow height instead of varying
the bridge height - this is because I want a certain bridge stiffness to
avoid tonal 'dips' between the sound board ribs). The stringing pillows
are covered with green felt to slightly dampen the back scale activity,
without the need of a listing strip. The serial no. first section,
"OK1", represents Overs-Kawai s/n 1, while the 662460 is the serial
number of the original shell.
=20
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ronovers/overskawai3.jpg
=20
This image from the bent side shows the green outer finish a little
lighter than it is. The camera flash washed the foreground a bit. The
plate is close to original with the exception that the strut junction at
the bass/treble break is re-profiled to improve its aesthetics, and the
plate perimeter bolts and set bolts are all chromed dome nuts, similar
to the Overs 225 pianos, with a Baldwin style plate mounting system. The
capo bars received their usual re-profiling and hardening. Also notice
that the strut between the agraffe and first capo section has been
ground to allow bridge clearance. The higher 34 mm bridge, combined with
the much smaller crown radius causes the bridges to sit much higher in
the piano, particularly in the mid sections. The stringing pillow
heights in the tenor sections are often as high as 10 mm. Ideally, a
crown in the treble hitch plate would help the setup where high-crowned
replacement sound boards are fitted. The original crown in the belly
rail is removed, prior to fitting the sound board cutoff, to slightly
reduce the final bridge height in the middle.
=20
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ronovers/overskawai4.jpg
=20
This image shows the new bass bridge design. The suspended bridge is now
thankfully gone, and the speaking length of A1 is shortened by 20 mm to
allow for a longer back scale. Similarly, the hitch pins for the singles
have been moved back so that A1's hitch is as close as possible to the
back of the plate. The original piano had an A1 free-backscale-segment
length of only 85 mm. This new configuration yields a free length of 135
mm at A1. With the double looped german eyes, this piano is now
producing a very acceptable low bass for a 200 cm piano. The bass
cut-off can be seen meeting with the bass side about a foot (300 mm)
back from the hinge cut-out. The darker wood moulding between the sound
board and cut-off area is antarctic beech. The plate is fitted using the
Baldwin style mounting system, so the visible hole in plate
perimeter-flange is for accessing the plate height adjustment screw,
prior to fitting the perimeter bolts.
=20
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ronovers/overskawai5.jpg
=20
Well that's it for the this piano for now. The lid and fall has to be
sprayed with top coat yet. Should be all completed in a couple of weeks.
=20
The Yamaha CF which we rebuilt for Dubbo Council went out on Tuesday.
The sound board re-crowning was very successful. This piano now has lots
of sound board crown and it sunk out no more than a standard new sound
board during the stringing process. The re-whatevered instrument seems
to have lost its characteristic Yamaha-CF-light-tone, with the modified
board yielding a much darker tone. While the plate was re-installed into
the case to the same height as original, the cast stringing pillows had
to be packed up by around 5 mm to achieve the desired down bearing
settings. This indicates that the crown of the restored board was
considerably higher than when the piano was new. Notably, the tone in
the killer octave area was most satisfactory. We used new CF3 hammers
for this repair and I must say I'm totally struck on the quality of the
Wurzen felt. Thank you Andr=E9 for bringing this hammer felt to our
attention. The tonal balance over the compass of the piano was quite
remarkably even, even before any voicing was undertaken. I've taken
images of the re-crowning process, but they were taken with my
conventional SLR camera. The Overs-Kawai images are the first digital
images we've taken. I may post a report to the list regarding the
re-crowning process once I get the images scanned. I predict that a lot
more re-crowning jobs will be undertaken in instances where the panel is
not split.
=20
Ron O.
=20