Info on Rippen Upright...

Wed, 28 Sep 2005 21:01:47 +0100

------=_NextPart_001_003E_01C5C46F.DA2DDD60
Alan and List

These are splendid photos =96 and I hope the moderator will forgive me =
if I
keep them in this Post in order to make pertinent comments;

=20

It was a very late model. Was also marketed under the name of Mahler, =
Topic
and Cameo

=20

=20

 This is almost the exact model of Lindner I had. The =93plate=94 was =
made like
a bit of farm machinery =96 welded tubular steel with the ends blanked =
off by
plastic plugs. Mine was vertically strung whereas this appears to be
overstrung =96 well, you can see the angle of the covered strings =
between the
action parts in photo 3. The action was held in place by a release =
catch. To
put the action back in place you just aligned the catches with the
catch-plate  and firmly pushed both ends in at the same time into lock
position. (Mind your fingers when putting it back!) To allow that =
keyboard
to drop down into the position shown you had first to remove two bolts =
and
one of the pedal rods which went through a hole in it somewhere! Those =
keys
were hollow moulded plastic and had push-in dowels at the balance point
which had a 7/8=94 x =BC=94 clock spring inserted! This was the key
return-cum-balance pin! Of course, the bottom end was fixed into another =
one
of those =91R=92 shaped mouldings which, in turn, were a push-fit into =
the
pressed steel =91U=92 channel balance rail in the tubular steel framed =
key
frame. This allowed those keys to be slid along that channel for =
alignment.
I don=92t know if you can see this but =96 on the touch end of the key =
there are
two white plastic bolts for each key. They are the touch adjustment and =
are
adjusted for depth of touch from the top and for touch from under the
keyboard! You can better see that in the next photo.

=20

 =20

=20

Just look at the economy of materials here. Those levers/whippens are
bifurcated (with tin snips, possibly!) to provide the check-wire and =
bridle
wire. And just look at those tape-ends! They=92re plastic caps which =
push on
the check wire. Not tape either =96 its string! You can just about make =
out
the lever =93flange=94 =96 it was =91R=92 in cross section and pushed =
into the exruded
aluminium action frame. It was the toe of the =91R=92 which broke off =
and made
the whole design redundant.

=20

Now that=92s what I call a butt spring with a difference! You won=92t =
get those
off the shelf! That entire butt, balance hammer and balance hammer shank
have been reduced into one plastic moulding. Ingenious! No screws to =
hold
that flange in place, they were push fit into that extruded action =
frame.
This method in turn gave complete control over hammer alignment with the
strings. Likewise the damper alignment. You just shoved them along! Just =
finishing note here=85. That hammer and shank are, apart from the pin =
block,
the only wood parts in the piano. The case is veneered chipboard =96 so
there=92s some wood there also.

=20

Thanks for allowing me down memory lane, Alan

=20

AF

----- Original Message -----=20