Compartmentizing

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Apr 1 11:04:20 MST 2006

WHAT! Are you serious? I have not worked much on any Steinway actions, so I
am not intimately familiar with them. And I gotta admit, I was really
picturing a normal wooden rail in my mind (my mistake). I know Steinway has
the metal-covered hammer rail, and I believe maple inside, but I guess I
assumed it was some sort of dowel running lengthwise for the rail........

Okay, okay, Steinway - dowel - hammer rail - duhhhhhhhhh! Where's the undo
button to take back that last post?

I was picturing a normal wooden rail that had all the flange screws stripped
out previously and repaired with dowels. Ahhh geeeesh!

But I'll still stand behind my comments on CA use for stripped screw holes
(even in a horizontal dowel)! And yeah, I do prefer a traditional wooden
rail like the other 13,000 piano manufacturers use(d).

Gee whizz, how embarrassing. Thanks for putting me in my place.  :-(

Terry Farrell
(tail between my legs)