This week's Life Saver...

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sun Apr 2 07:52:18 MDT 2006

>So exactly how do you use it for stripped particle board?

I drilled the torn, heaved holes out to 1/2", filled with Lakeone
and trimmed flush. This restored the integrity of the area for gluing.

I'll reinstall the upright cheeks with more glue than the factory did
and add more screws. (I removed the other cheek for security).
I'll put the original screws back in but won't rely on them for strength.

This is a new upright which a fork lift toppled over backwards in the
warehouse. The treble side broke off, dislodging the toe block and
cheek. It was simple to relocate the side using the serpentine glue
line which tore off the panel as an index key. A healthy application
of Titebond made it a solid unit with the back, The other side
sounds hollow comparatively when knocked but is secure.

The top rear corners of both sides were crushed in and fanned out.
I cut a few deep saw kerfs to remove material for clamping flat. (It
was like sawing cardboard). I first swabbed with West Systems
without additives to soak into the area, then thickened, filled and
clamped, it leveled the panel perfectly. The rear corners which were
crushed inwards were rebuilt with Lakeone so they can be colored
to match the faux-wood-grain-photo-type-rosewoodesque-looking
finish. (What else did you expect on composite core?)

I'm waiting on a piece of decorative trim (lost at the warehouse)
from the manufacturer to install the cheeks.

Lakeone restored an area of the splintered bottom board which
attached to the side. It also rebuilt a missing section to the top
music panel's wooden retaining clasp. (jpg allached)
--

Regards,

Jon Page