Help the Thumper reach Rochester! Free Ecsaine! Free Simplex Piano Player!

gordon stelter lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 2 21:34:21 MDT 2006

Howdy Folks!
     I'm poor, but not ashamed. I work in the 5th
poorest county in the U.S. ( worse than New Orleans'
9th Ward ) where 90% of pianos are cruddy old uprights
or Kimball Whitneys, and the few folks rich enough for
REAL pianos are ( historically ) used to paying
everyone minimum wage. ( Or less. Much less. )  Add to
that the fact that I was rear-ended by a personal
injury lawyer in front of a  chiropractor's office 5
years ago ( no kidding ) and didn't get a  settlement
( but did get neck injuries ) and you can understand
why I can't afford to go.  But I'd love to!
   So, here's my offer:
   1)Anybody who chips in $10 or more gets samples of
all three piano-specific Ecsaine thicknesses to play
with. This is the astounding, uniform, buckskin
substitute made by Toray industries that is used by
Yamaha and Kawai ( or so I've heard. ) Great stuff !!!
I'll never use buckskin again! It took MONTHS to pry
this out of Toray, with the promise that I'd promote
it among pianotechs. If enough demand it, and I can
get Toray to sell me a  reasonable minimum stock, I'll
then offer it, reasonably priced.
   2)Whoever chips in the most wins the 1890's push-up
style Simplex piano player at my brother's in
Rochester. ( Unrestored. )
   3) I'll bring several samples of other gadgets and
techniques I've developed that may be of interest.
   4) Jack Wyatt is interested in my recent
experiences restoring a Chickering "Brown" action, to
help with his class. I'd much rather show up with my
jigs, and answer any and all questions. These beasts
are MURDER to restore and regulate, and I can save you
a hundred hours of grief ( at least ) were you to
ever encounter one. For one thing,  ( after days of
head scratching ) I devised a very effective jig to
make uniform cord loops in jacks. It measures the cord
perfectly, and prevents plug insertion from altering
loop length. There are also peculiar procedures for
disassembly/assembly/adjustment that may drive you to
suicide.
     On top of that, I'd love to meet y'all, give my
enemies a chance to vent their completely
unreasobnable frustrations with me in person, and have
a  "Piano Battle" with any fellow ragtime or stride
players who show up.
     If you are, for good or evil, interested in
seeing me at Rochester, please email with a pledge. If
they tally, along with my finances, enough to attend,
I'll take you up on them and see you there.
    Ecsaine to be distributed once I arrive.

    Thanks!
    Thump