Compact Tuning Lever?

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 4 06:26:37 MDT 2006

Michelle

  I, too, have transitioned through several different tuning levers over the course of my ten years in the biz.  And that's precisely the way to look at this:  the next tuning lever you buy will not be the last one.  So the decision is not set in stone.

  And, it's hard to know which is best for yourself until you buy one and use it for awhile.  The exception might be that Fujan lever that Michael refers to:  they offer to refund your money within 30 days if you return the lever in undamaged condition, so you could buy it and try it out for a month.

  I actually carry two different tuning levers in my tool kit; I use one for verticals and the other for grands.  I believe it helps me with fatigue.

  The only specific advice I'd offer is this: go with a wood handle rather than plastic (the Fujan is aluminum, but with a rosewood ball on the end.).  You're going to have that thing in your hand a lot of hours, and the wood feels so much better than plastic.  To me, anyway.

  Tom Sivak
  Chicago

Michael Spalding <spalding48 at earthlink.net> wrote:
  Hi Michelle,

As someone else has pointed out, the big difference is leverage. Both the
handle and the shaft of the compact are shorter; also, the shaft of the
compact has threads at only one end, while the shaft of the full size lever
is threaded at both ends. Like having a spare shaft.

Regarding budget, think long term. I spent at least $250 on various
lower-cost levers, before investing $250 in my rosewood/titanium Calahan.

Mike