False Beats / Loose pins

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Wed Apr 5 14:20:08 MDT 2006

Thanks Jason.

What you say below is 100 percent correctomundo !  We can get into quite
a bit more of this stuff too if we want to.  It's kind of neat stuff
really IMHO.

Cheers
RicB

--------
The logic is not necessarily "if A then B." There may be a third (at least)
element that is required. "If A [and C] then B." What Ric is demonstrating
is that loose pins *by themselves* do not cause false beats; but loose pins
and [some other condition] still may do so. Maybe that other condition has
to do with the string -- how it was originally stretched across the
termination points -- , or the other termination point, or the angle of the
upper surface of the bridge, or even something to do with wave travel
through the bridge and soundboard. Probably it's not easily testable.
But we can't conclude "if not B then not A" until we know certainly that
there are no other elements involved. Ric's instance proves that "if not be
then not A" is false.