Agraffes-To Fenton

Absolute Piano absolutepiano at comcast.net
Wed Apr 5 20:01:09 MDT 2006

Fenton:
Thanks for the info on the tumbler. A reason for putting used agraffes back in order is that the beveled seat is already partially crushed. With new agraffes you can do quite a bit of aligning. Once they've been on there is not as much freedom to align them. A problem I've found with new ones is the height. Raising (usually) the string height in the agraffe section a mm or 2. A counter bore like Pianotech sells solves this problem but gets rid of the bevel. Not good IMO. I re-ground one  to match the bevel.

Good point Fenton. The bevel is probably what makes Steinways so much better to align (even new) than Bechsteins. How do you ground a bevel in agraffes? Nice website by the way.

Jude Reveley, RPT
Absolute Piano Restoration, LLC
Boston, Massachusetts