laquer question

piano2ba1 at att.net piano2ba1 at att.net
Wed Apr 5 21:13:51 MDT 2006

Hi. In reply to your question about lacquer used on hammers, there are several answers. You have many types of lacquer, as well as thinners. They all vary. In my experience servicing pianos with 'soft' hammers (ie. NY Steinway and some other cold pressed types) it may be safest to use the methylcellulose water white lacquer diluted from either 1 part solids(lacquer) to 3-10 parts thinner or acetone. Acetone works quicker. Use proper ventilation always and a good quality mask with charcoal filter.

Gary

-------------- Original message from KeyKat88 at aol.com: --------------

Greetings.

           I guess these questions are really elementary but, To use laquer as a hammer hardner means that you have to thin laquer (clear laquer, right?) with none else than ta da....laquer thinner. Is that right?

Juli
Reading, PA