Preemptive CA in bridges?

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Apr 6 04:39:54 MDT 2006

"What would be wrong with preemptively treating all the bridge pins in the whole piano with CA..."

I'm not sure how much effect CA will have on a fully assembled newer piano in excellent condition - remember CA has little shear strength - but I think the general idea is a good one. This is why myself, and some others at least, epoxy-treat the bridge pin hole during the pinning procedure of rebuilding. There are different ways to do it, but I swab the bridge pin hole with a length of piano wire dipped in epoxy (I get a couple drops in there). Then I dip the base of the new bridge pin in epoxy and tap it in place.

Terry Farrell