Advice? Opinions? Guidance?

J Patrick Draine draine at comcast.net
Thu Apr 6 17:54:01 MDT 2006

No, there is nothing that you, or I, or the PTG should directly "do
about" this fellow's advert. Well if you're really motivated you
could give him a call and ask him what he means by "NYS AUTHORIZED
PIANO TECHNICIAN." If you pose as a potential customer, he should be
willing to enlighten you. Then  you'll have more information.
Indirectly, individual chapters can choose to run ads in their local
Yellow Pages. Our late friend Guy Nichols promoted this idea;
technicians in his local area had been doing it for a while, as I
recall (it's somewhere in our archives). The Boston Chapter tried it
in the 1980 Greater Boston Yellow Pages -- once. Folks with more
business than they could handle, or who lived in the suburbs and
didn't feel it benefited them much pooh poohed idea, and it withered.
A bit of group altruism and forward-thinking is good stuff, but often
falls  by the wayside.
You can always suggest to the tech in question that he's welcome to
learn about what your local PTG chapter has to offer, and that you'd
be eager to challenge him as to who takes and passes the RPT exams
first.
That's my half a cycle (at A-440)
Patrick Draine