trouble removing the plate

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Thu Apr 6 22:07:38 MDT 2006

Hi Ed
  Are you sure the plate isn't built in under the case sides.   Knabes & many
others are famous for this.  I've had to literally cut  away some of the case
to get the palte out.  Fenton recently had a similar  problem with a very old
Bozy.
  Dale

Has  anyone out there ever had trouble removing a plate from a vertical piano

(or a grand for that matter).

I am stumped. I cannot get the plate  out of the Knabe 50" Upright I am
working on. I am certain that all of the  screws and other assorted hardware
have been removed. The bottom of the  plate is free, but the top around over
the pinblock will not budge. When I  lift it the whole piano comes with it.

Is it possible there is a hidden  screw I have not thought of?
Is it possible the plate was glued or epoxied  to the pinblock?

Can anyone help me?

Thank  you,
Ed

Dale  Erwin--Piano Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Calif 95357
Shop  209-577-8397
cell 209-985-0990
_http://www.Erwinspiano.com_ (http://www.Erwinspiano.com)
Specializing in the Restoration, Service & Sales  of
Steinway, Mason & Hamlin, & other fine  pianos