Hammers blocking in Seiler uprights

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Fri Apr 7 00:22:42 MDT 2006

Hi List,

I took a breather from the list because business has been pretty good, and wht do I see in my mailbox?  637 messages from pianotech...  Wish I'd had the time to read them all!

I have recently encountered an interesting problem in a few Seiler uprights.  Last week it was in a 132, probably 2 years old.  This week it was a 122, similar vintage.  Both were purchased as new from a dealer within the last 7-8 months.  I've also seen this problem with a few Seilers of slightly older vintage.

What's happening is that the backchecks are checking the hammers a bit too close--like right into the string, if you push on the key a tad, or on a soft blow where the hammer rebounds slowly and gets smushed into the string by the backcheck.

There is adequate lost motion.  In one of them, there was negative lost motion, but the problem persisted after regulation of lm
Let off is good, right around 3-4mm

The only VISIBLE problem is the checks are regulated way too close.

After making the the lost motion was okay, I regulated so checking around 10 mm.  It works fine.  It's strikes me as odd that this would happen, because they weren't that way at the first tunings.  Granted, we are having a wet winter, but I can't fathom how humidity could cause this. They are both in relatively stable environments.

About 4 years ago, I dealt with a Seiler that had this, and many other regulation problems seemingly caused by environment.  AFter regulation, the piano has been quite stable.

Anybody with similar experiences with these pianos?

Have a great weekend,