laminated ribs

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Fri Apr 7 08:30:41 MDT 2006

Hi Ric
  I've been gone this week.  First, transporting the  little redesigned Stwy
O to Alameda for the class,  then teaching the class  & visiting with friends,
returning piano etc,etc add exhaustion. It's Friday  & I'm glad so I havent'
been ignoring  this

Hi  Dale

This argument about ribs not supporting crown has bothered me from  the
first moment I heard it. And after reading Nossamans well written
article in the latest Journal  I think I know why.  Ok, nobody  questions
that in a CC board ribs do not provide beam support for the  load. But
that's not quite the same thing as saying they don't support  load in a
different fashion.

   Hey they add something . If that wasn't true every C.  C. Board wudda
caved on inception.

The same thing goes for the crown argument. And
that's where Ron's article  comes in.
   I'm not sure I know which article this is.  I'll  find it. what month?

About 2 years ago I posted a couple threads with some drawings  trying to
explain why I thought the ribs in a CC board had similarities to  a
cable in the sense that they attempt to constrain the board from
expanding... so the panel has to bend instead. That very resistance to
the panels expansion is every bit as much a load support but in an
entirely different way. What the kicker back then was, was that I tried
to argue that the ribs strain (note the word usage) against the
expansion forces from the panel.  I was told then that no.. the ribs
don't strain.... they simply bend against their better  nature.
   As I read the other posts on " Strain" &  I  have to see the ribs being
pulled up from there flat orinetation by panel  expansion as ......strain? If
some one bends me out of shape I feel  ....strained

Enter
Ron's article disclaiming the buttress arch.  In that article he  shows by
experiment that the top half of the ribs not only bend, but they  expand
lengthwise. That expansion is critical to his whole argumentation
(which by the way made perfect sense to me).

But that same rib  expansion shows conclusively that the ribs do strain,
and significantly so  against the expanding panel.
   The strain is being initiated by the panel  expansion

If you  stop to think
about it this only makes sense.  If the ribs can not  strain lengthwise
at all, then neither could the panel crown, yet if they  strained equally
through their height then they would not constrain the  panel at all.  It
is because they DO strain ... more on top and  increasingly less towards
the bottom combined with the panels compression  that crown and crown
strength occur. And it doesn't really seem to me to  be so much a stretch
of the mind to imagine mathematical explanations for  all this that
would fit very nicely into design thinking.  The  height and width of
ribs don't add up to combine in a kind of beam  strength / mass
relationship... but rather a kind of strain strength /  mass one.
     I think I follow you. Frankly it helps me  to  think the whole assembly
as plywood

One thing is clear about load support in CC boards. The more  you push on
it, the more it resists... until its overloaded of  course.  But until
that point there is definitely load support and  the ribs are definitely
part of that... just not in the sense of  beams.
  This is  true but the ribs are adding stiffness  & mass & mass is a often
neglected piece of the  discussion at times. Ie. I've heard many C.C. board
with little crown or  bearing that really sounded to my ear,very good, enjoyed
them greatly. So what's  making them work? rib stiffness/ panel assembly
stiffness & being glued as  an assembly to the rim adds stiffness.
     When I load up a RC & partially panel  supported board, there can be a
very powerful strong non-linear resistence  during the pre stress bearing set
up.  As I pound the board  down, slipping a wooden wedge between the central
plate strut, the  resistence to further deflection stops at about 3 to 4 mm even
if I continue to  pound really hard with fist on bridge. It feels like I'm
pounding on a gym floor  at that point. The stiffness in that develops in a
Sitka panel at 5.5 to 6.0  E.M.C. can exert  a lot of stiffness factor which
really quite  amazing.  & So is a purelay C.C. panel at 4% as well.  I got to
thinkling about how strong spruce expansion is when considering ,that a
thoroughly dried C.C. a panel can bend 1 2 or more ribs  for really quite  along time
and sound quite good. This is amzing.
   The longevity issues  &  reliability  issues of C.C. boards are always the
big question mark.  Ie the G-2 Yamaha  I wrote about thinning the panel on is
a C.C. board but with sitka spruce  ribs.  Yikes How long can that board
convince those stiff suckers from  sucking the life out of the crown, & it's only
29 years old. In 20  years it may be ready for the dumper, as are many mass
produced  pianos.
     In my boards I  know panel expansion gives  some non linear strength
but  I love the way they sound.  I've got a pretty stiff rib set under  there
as well.  I'm wondering if the non linear panel qualities are  noticed or
utilized more predominately in the large bottom end of the  panel.  I've been
considering that the shorter ribs in the treble end, Say  the last 5 ribs, are
getting short enough to perhaps add beam strength as they  don't crown much  Even
under panel compression a flat rib doesn't normally  show much residual crown
when strung up & the noticeably shorter spans the  board makes from belly rail
to rim also adds a bit of stiffness but it seems to  me that it is the whole
of the structure itself which is seen as a mystery as to  how to design one
from an engeneering standpoint & understanding it. Hey it  works, we can't argue
with that...but how well, how long....this we can debate  till were blue in
de face.
   Dale

Cheers
RicB

------------------

Dale,
Those  ribs were originally built into a CC board. How can  a
compression  crowned board get mechanical support from the rib
scale,  however  "good" the scale looks? The ribs in CC boards
resist the crown  that  panel compression is trying to form and
maintain, and just put more   compression load on the panel.  -----Ron

No, I get all that  Ron, but if the ribs are built significantly  taller &
of stiffer  material by design  then more panel  compression can be taken
out of
the equation.  Another thought is, &  I've  witnessed this quite a few times
is, that Stwy A's (1 & 2"s) in   general can produce a pretty wonderful
sound
even with a  flat  or  flattish board providing there is some small but
consistent  bearing load  still intact so in this case it would seem that
there  are
enough impedance  factors about the rib scale to make the system  work
rather well.
Ok maybe a  freak of nature but it happens  fairly frequently.
About 5 years back I had such an  long A I was going to  resell it. It
had
Steinway hammers which  were quite soft &  made  it sound really good.
It  was
hard to imagine that a new board would make  it sound much better.  It truly
sounded glorious but it was a spec job  & I don't sell  old boards very
often. I
didn't do any thing to the  action until  later for a really good A b
comparison.
So  I built a  board with the same number of ribs  making them crowned at
about 60  ft. Made em taller but not much. Used sugar  pine in the bottom  &
yellow pine in the top.  The sound was  cleaner and the  sustain was
about the same
which was awesome.  It just  had  it!!
I attribute much of this to the original basic rib scale   design.
Something
was working or several things were.  Do you see  what  I'm saying?
I'll crunch some numbers & see what I  got.  I greatly  Appreciate the
design sharing & information  swap.
Thanks
Dale

It's  an entirely  different system. Do a bearing load analysis
on the ribs as  load  carrying beams and see what the numbers
say. They'll say that the rib   scale isn't adequate to support
bearing without substantial panel   compression support.