Mixing Lacquer

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 8 12:01:53 MDT 2006

Julia asked: "Is there a better way to mix small quantities of this other than
using teaspoons to measure? What about storage? Does the hardner mixed dry out?
What about baby food jars as storage? Does the lacquer thinner eat away the
seal at the top of the jar and leak? What are the best vessels to store it?
Also how much should I mix at a time?...enough to do one job or more; and then
store it? "

Thanks in advance,
Julia,
The best container, I've found, for mixing things to specific ratios, is glass Lab Bottles. The sides have calibrations on them. Also, the lids seem to "seal" things a bit better. An added item, would be a small funnel, to make the job neater. These can be obtained from lab supply houses.
Most mixtures will eventually change. I mark my bottles on the side, with a Sharpie when I'm done with a job. That way, when I go to use it again, if the level is not at the mark, I know that some thinner needs to be added. Baby Food jars and such, have a "seal" that will not stand up to lacquer & such. They will leak! DAMHIK!<G>
Mix up how much the lab bottle will hold.
BTW, "Satin Lacquer" has way more solids in it than "Water Clear", which is the preferred lacquer, IMO. Also, be aware that Lacquer's natural cycle is to continue to harden throughout it's life. So....what you get in 1 hour, 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 1 year, etc. will always be a moving target. I prefer to use Sanding sealer, which has Rice Solids in it. It gets just as hard as regular lacquer, but you'll be able to get needles in it, when it gets tooo bright, as opposed to regular lacquer that will just break needles and frustrate the hell out of you. Another DAMHIK!
Happy Voicing,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I