Breaking point formula

ed440 at mindspring.com ed440 at mindspring.com
Sat Apr 8 18:16:18 MDT 2006

David-

Looking at the 1990 edition of _The Calculating Technician_, I find the Tmax formula as you quote it on p. 11 and p.63, Table 9.2

As I understand it, the Tmax formula calculates 60% of the breaking tension Tb. (See p. 66.)  His formula is Tb=Tmax/0.60

The example you refer to is on p. 7 and p.11.  The tension calculated is 474 lbs.  This is very high, and he says it is one of the highest he has ever seen.   But if Tmax is 556 (55.7%% of Tb 999lbs.), then 474 is only 47.5% of Tb.

By the way, I believe the 63 mils core wire in question would be a 29 gauge wire, unless the gauge calculations change at that diameter.  Anyway, it's a big fat wire!

Ed Sutton