Cargo to Go

william ballard yardbird at vermontel.net
Sun Apr 9 18:44:15 MDT 2006

I just now got around to arranging the cargo area of my PT Cruiser so
that tool boxes and other containers would be held in place instead
of flying forward on slick carpet every time I stepped on the brakes.
The goal was that the solution 1.) be flexible for different
configurations of containers, 2.) be quickly removable come time to
put one or both rear seats back in, and 3.) be anchored to the car
bed with minimal fastening (ie., no unnecessary holes drilled).

The strips of 3/4" plywood have interlocking slots, the median strip
has a second slot (closer to the camera but out of view, the two
laterals have a second slot for moving the median to the left (when
the larger of the two rear seats is installed). The median hooks into
one of the welded handles which anchor the seats, using a j-bolt in
its bottom edge, and the rear (closest to camera) lateral slips into
slots in the car's molded interior side panels.

I  turned the larger toolbox on the right 90º, the direction it would
be most prone to tipping with the car brakes. (The box is ~10" high,
with a try at they top, and the lateral is 4-1/2" tall. At 30mph, I
jammed on the brakes, the car screeched stop, but the box didn't
tumble over the "retaining wall" (half it's size). Admittedly, that
deceleration is mild compared to that in an accident (DAMHIK). But
I'm satisfied that normal driving won't be dumping my tool boxes over.

Mr. Bill

"Gentlemen, we have a blind date with Destiny and it looks like she
just ordered the lobster
     ...........William H. Macy in "Mystery Men"