Lead in European Instruments

Scott Nelson pianotuner9932 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 11 22:04:02 MDT 2006

Hello List,

  I am posting to the list for the first time, so I would like to introduce myself.

  My name is Scott Nelson and I am a member of the Detroit-Windsor Chapter.I have been tuning pianos for about 20 years now and have been an RPT for 12.

  I have a client with a Baldwin SF-10 that wants to ship the piano to Poland. As I understand it, lead is supposed to be phased out of keys by the end of the year in the European Union.

  My question is whether this applies only to new instruments and/or imported instruments. If this is not the case, what suggestions do you have for a substitute material to be used for weigh-off? Are there any composites that would suffice? What prototype systems other than the Petrof magnet setup are currently being developed?

  I appreciate any knowledge or insight into this question.

  Thanks,

  Scott Nelson, RPT