Feedback or Controversy on Bach/Lehman's temperament ?

Ron Koval drwoodwind at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 12 08:47:02 MDT 2006

I've set this temperament on a good many pianos... It was even chosen for my
son's senior piano recital last year.  He was used to it at home, so that
wasn't a stretch for him.  He played a varied program from Bach to
Rachmaninov, to Joplin.  Like many of the milder temperaments, there
shouldn't be any drastic reactions to hearing music.... not test intervals,
but music played on such a temperament.

Ed and Jason did a good job before, I'd only like to add that while the
graphs of cents from pure are seductive in some of the symmetry displayed,
(or lack) we hear beats, and interactions between beats, not simply a
measurement of how far from pure intervals are.  There is a great influence
on WHERE in the keyboard (up or down) varying degrees of tempering occurs.

As to the authenticity?  Well, with the DaVinci Code set to open in a month,
it may be fun to guess, but it's going to be a tough sell! There have been a
few other attempts at understanding the scrollwork - all ending up with
different results.

I like the response I get back from people playing this temperament - that's
what matters most to me.  Since I've had the opportunity to try so many
temperaments, both modern and old, I don't really care where it comes from -
I care how it plays.

Ron Koval
Chicagoland