kick panel replacement material

John Fortiner jlfortiner at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 12:52:08 MDT 2006

I have a school piano (Baldwin/Hamilton 243) that is missing the kick panel
( the one that goes between the bottom of the keybed and the toe rail).
Please don't ask me where it went as I have no idea....
Any thoughts about what material to use to replace it with??
I've considered MDF with maple veneer - which isn't very strong imho.
I'm also considering Baltic Birch Plywood - which is a much stronger
material.
I also know that any material I use will have to be stained to match the
rest of the piano.

Your input will be appreciated.

John Fortiner
Montana