20 bass Steinway?

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 13 21:23:47 MDT 2006

I'm currently working on rebuilding the action of a S&S. I measured it and it was slightly under 6'. Since it didn't have a letter stamped on the "yoke", I assumed it was an "O", since it was made in 1911.
Having looked over the Hammer Boring charts, it dawned on me that the only 20 bass note S&S pianos are either a "B", (which this ain't), or an A. It's too new to be an A-1, so what the heck is it?
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I