Health Insurance for RPT's?

Mark Schecter schecter at pacbell.net
Fri Apr 14 18:46:23 MDT 2006

Hi, Dean.

Thanks for taking the trouble to describe your approach to family health
care. With as many people to care about as you have, I have no doubt
that this is a subject that you've given a lot of thought and energy to.
I'm glad things have gone well for you and yours, and I hope that trend
never changes.

I had a high school friend who got leukemia. He went through several
years of very expensive treatment trying to beat the disease, but he
finally succumbed at age 50. I have a brother who got hepatitis C, and
he would have died without a liver transplant. He's playing music this
weekend, age 54. My other brother had cervical spine surgery at age 55
to repair the vertebrae so the nerves in his arm could work properly
again. My father was born with a club foot, but with surgery and a
lifetime of effort to overcome the limp, his foot carried him through it
all. My brother in law had lymphoma, caused perhaps by Agent Orange, but
with surgery and radiation, he lived to remarry, and raise his wife's
grandson through the difficulties of Asperger's syndrome. My wife Jo's
nieces love my Jo especially much because she's the closest thing they
have to their mom, Jo's sister, who died at age 35 from a brain aneurysm.

Etc, etc. Things happen, Dean. I hope they don't happen to you, but they
happen to me and those around me. If I didn't prepare for the
possibility, I would consider myself derelict in my duty. One major
medical emergency could wipe out everything you and your family have
worked your whole lives to develop, and it wouldn't make much difference
whether that emergency affected you personally, one of your children, or
someone else in your immediate family. The point is, you don't buy
insurance based on your assessment of the chances that you'll have a
loss. You buy insurance based on what you could lose if/when you have a
loss.

I'm obviously not about to attempt to tell you what you should do, or
think, or how you should live. You're obviously happy with the choices
you've made. I could not be comfortable with your approach to family
health, and no doubt you could not with mine, but different strokes for
different folks. All I can say is this: there are a lot of people,
including me, for whom health insurance appears to be preferable to no
health insurance, all things considered. For those people, it's about
time our leaders followed our lead. If you think Congress should not
make it possible for business associations such as PTG to buy health
insurance at group rates, then presumably you will communicate your
thoughts and feelings to your representatives. That's what makes this
country what it is.

Best regards,

-Mark Schecter