piano, piano-forte, forte-piano : Terminology - What's your opinion ?

Philippe Errembault phil.errembault at skynet.be
Sat Apr 15 06:59:23 MDT 2006

Hello,

Just consulting the french wikipedia, I discovered that piano-forte is the original name of the instrument invented by Cristophori near 1700, and it was in a harpsichord like frame, while forte-piano was built around 60 years later by Friederici, on a square frame like a clavichord. This is not matching with what I find on the english wikipedia...

What's your opinios about that ? what instrument should be called what ? Or do you think the names are just not the seme between both langagues ?

Philippe Errembault