Buttressed Arch. Question for Ron N.

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Apr 15 12:09:45 MDT 2006

>  and is there any advantage to trying to make that rim
> immoveable, and is there a consequence to it moving with respect to the
> soundboard?

Another recent observation along these lines, for anyone
interested. I've read for years how a soundboard doesn't boom
much when it's first glued in, and develops a boom after a few
days. With the RC&S board I put in the B I'm currently trying
to get done, I was playing with the boom, or ring tone of the
board to see what it did. With the F clamps just on, and
Titebond still dripping on the floor, I thumped the mid tenor
bridge with my fist. Got a good solid boom with a bit over
three second ring time! Thump tone changed frequency up and
down scale just as I'd expect, but the ring duration really
stood out as extraordinary. Next day, I removed the clamps and
thumped it again. Still a good boom, but the ring time was
half of what it was before I took off the clamps. Now,
"conventional wisdom" would say it had "something" to do with
the fit at the rim, and the clamps supplying added coupling
between the panel and rim, but that ain't it. As I was leaning
on the curved side pounding away, it struck me that the rim
was vibrating like a palm sander against my stomach, which
wasn't nearly as dramatic with the clamps on. Even with that
"iron fortress" rock maple rim, it was absorbing more
soundboard energy because I had removed the MASS of the clamps
from the rim. When I got the plate bolts installed, the plate
in, and tightened down the cap nuts, the board ring time came
right back courtesy of the plate mass. Sooooo, it seems to me
that this could be something else to add to our arsenal of
possible field modifications in our never ending quest to make
pianos seem better than they were either designed or built to
be. Addition of mass loads to inner rims to improve sustain in
otherwise functional soundboards should be worth a try in some
situations. It would be easy enough to clamp on test loads to
diagnose problems and potential improvements, and quick and
cheap enough to implement if it helped and you had a need.

To whomever,
Ron N