Buttressed Arch. Question for Ron N.

Overs Pianos sec at overspianos.com.au
Sat Apr 15 18:23:49 MDT 2006

>Absolutely. I routinely add bracing to the straight side, and
>particularly to the belly rail (mass too, here).
>
>   Meaning a brace coming off the brace closet to the spine.  I like this
>
>It doesn't do
>the slightest thing for crown, but it raises the impedance of
>the rim and belly rail so it absorbs less of the soundboard's
>energy, improving tone and sustain.

Which is why the replacement of the S&S bell with a standard back
brace really helps to improve impedance and sustain. I suspect that
we'll see something along these lines with Ron N's Rochester exhibit.

>   So a heavier wood would be a better choice than say spruce.  If I
>recall it was Overs who was laminating his belly beams with hard
>wood. Cool stuff.  Fire up the saw.
>
>  Dale

Yes Dale, while the outer and inner rim of the piano we are bringing
to Rochester is rock maple, so too is the entire belly rail assembly
and the back beams.

Following on from Ron N's comments on the mass loading of rims, and
its impedance benefits, I've suspected for some time that heavy
plates help sustain. I think its one of the reasons why the Baldwin
SD-10 is such a remarkable instrument. The benefit of using a denser
timber such as rock maple for the rim may have as much to do with the
mass increase as stiffness.

Having a day off at home today, Easter Sunday. We're having a few
friends and staff over - not seeing enough of folks with too much
going on at the workshop. The no. 6 piano for Rochester has the plate
finished and the undercoat is on the case. We expect to get the case
top coat and sound board finish on, and out of the booth, around mid
week to start putting the piano together.

I've been taking photos of construction as we go. Planning to show a
series of images at my class in Rochester. This class will include
images and procedural information on hardening capo bars. After a
couple of attempts with various lighting/exposure combinations, I
managed to get a worthwhile image showing the flame heating of front
duplex bars in progress.

Best,
Ron O.
--