scaling problem

ed440 at mindspring.com ed440 at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 18 05:07:58 MDT 2006

Ed-

Since this is a first time restringing job, I assume this is not a 7' Bechstein in a concert venue.

The easiest solution would be to change the double unison to match the single.  You won't need to install a new hitchpin.  I.e. make 16, 16, 15.5  into 15.5, 15.5, 15.5  or if it's 16, 15.5, 15.5 make it 16, 16, 16.

Note that many less expensive pianos don't use any half size wire, so this will work out fairly well.

Having said that, at some point you will want to do more considered work. If you don't want to pay for rescaling, you can get _The Calculating Technician_ from PTG, make your own spread sheets and do it yourself.  You'll need some basic algebra and willingness to spend whatever time it takes.

Ed Sutton.....and remember: Two Eds are better than one!