Key Excursion

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Apr 18 14:44:14 MDT 2006

It often happens is that the thing that the pianist thinks is the problem
isn’t.  It’s simply a matter of their perception.  For example, a “heavy”
action can be anything from early damper lift, overleaded keys, high
friction, high balance weight, mushy hammers or something else.  Getting to
the heart of the matter is the challenge and the search often has to wander
away from the perceived issue.  I expect in the case of the excessively
sloping keys that’s what will happen, but I’m not sure
  I have periodically
been called to try and diagnose a problem that was dismissed by the previous
tech as “normal” because of how it was expressed by the client.  When we
finally got to the real issue it was something altogether different.  All it
took was a few more questions and a good bit of critical thinking.
Admittedly, it's not always easy to take the time for either.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net