Re: Bösendorfer Rim

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Wed Apr 19 19:40:24 MDT 2006

Avery,

Indeed, to give us some idea of how susceptible various wood species are to
shrinking and swelling, the following is useful.  These are the rates of
shrinkage of various species of wood, in the three dimensions, the
Tangential (T), Radial (R) and Longitudinal (TR) (from Hoadley's
"Understanding Wood").

Red Maple        T=8.2    R=4.0    TR=2.0
Sugar Maple     T=9.9    R=4.8    TR=2.1
Black Ash          T=7.8    R=5.0    TR=1.6
White Ash        T=7.8    R=4.9    TR=1.6
Red Oak            T=8.9    R=4.2    TR=2.1
White Oak        T=10.5    R=5.6    TR=1.8
Red Spruce        T=7.8    R=3.8    TR=2.1
Sitka Spruce        T=7.5    R=4.3    TR=1.7
Engelmann Spruce    T=7.1    R=3.8    TR=1.9

>From this information (which is indicative of most species) softwoods tend
to fare better than hardwoods in respective rates of shrinkage and swelling.
In these particular species, the three species of spruce all have more
modest percentages of swelling/shrinking than any of the hardwoods.  If you
are experiencing a greater instability in softwoods, I'd first be curious if
the sample was properly dried, rather than some inherent instability of a
particular species.

Regards,
William R. Monroe