Bridge Pins & Nega Bearing

william ballard yardbird at vermontel.net
Sun Apr 23 17:49:12 MDT 2006

Hi Ron,

On Apr 23, 2006, at 7:15 PM, Ron Nossaman wrote:
>> Positive bearing strings will stay seated just as well with
>> positive crown as with negative crown. It's negative bearing
>> strings which won't stay seated and which apply their force to
>> destroy the pinning. That's regardless of positive or negative crown.
>
> It would take a tremendous negative bearing to pull a string up off
> of a bridge against the slanted pins and offset angle, unless pin
> slant was only very slight. Otherwise, strings don't un-seat from
> bridges.

Then some tremendous force must be at work, because strings which
have crept upwards against slanted pins and side-bearing are a
regular part of our day. And that's outside such at-risk conditions
as a rolled bridge with negative bearing at the front and positive at
the back.

But the strings wouldn't have to be pulled up off a bridge for
negative bearing to damage the pinning. An earlier comment of mine
about "having to toss out bridge pins as a coupling mechanism" in the
negative bearing scenario didn't seem to raise any comments.

Mr Bill

"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture"
     ...........Steve Martin