Bridge Pins & Nega Bearing

william ballard yardbird at vermontel.net
Mon Apr 24 19:26:10 MDT 2006

On Apr 24, 2006, at 11:47 AM, Ron Nossaman wrote:
>>   Ron
>>    Perhaps I haven't said this in plain ol english but all the
>> fine examples of reverse crown set ups I've seen are with positive
>> bearing set ups pushing on a reverse crown board..  Sohmer,
>> Beckwith,Bauer, & others all positive. I've seen a few
>> conventioanl set ups which thanks to the collapsed boards,
>> although showing postive crown, were in fact they were hanging big
>> time on the bridge pins.
>>  Dale
>>     Maybe it's just me, but I can't help but wonder why anyone
>>     would want to design a piano with negative crown and bearing.
>>     I don't think of any benefit to doing so.
>
> Dale,
> This was in response to Bill, who WAS talking about designing a
> negative crown, negative bearing piano.
> Ron N

Sheer stubbornness, just to prove that it could be done. There's alot
of design talent out there (hey, don't look at me.....). We've
already agreed that negative crown works just as well as positive,
and that as long as the bearing is positive, no one's the wiser. I
was egging this crowd on, saying that the only difficulty with
negative crown AND negative bearing was making sure that the means
for coupling strings to the bridge was not one doomed for failure
with negative bearing. Knock bridge pins off the list, but you still
have agraffes and Stewart's string clamps.

On Apr 24, 2006, at 8:26 PM, Erwinspiano at aol.com wrote:
>   Yes & now your'e in Witchita with Twisters a headin your way.
>   I'll have the earthquakes please.
>   Dale
> Ok   ....got lost somewhere
> >   Dale
> >
> >     Dale,
> >     This was in response to Bill, who WAS talking about designing
> >     a negative crown, negative bearing piano.
>
> No sweat, I've been lost for years. Well, at least misplaced.
> Ron N

Whenever I find myself lost (oxymoron intended) or ignorant, I simply
say I just woke from a nap. People are so helpful. <G>

It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Mr. Bill

"I've always depended on the kindness of strangers.....
     ...........Blanche DuBois in "Streetcar Named Desire"