Action Center Wood Repairs

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Apr 25 06:11:02 MDT 2006

Thanks.

I didn't understand the last comment: "... although not [a fix] to do in a customer's home."

It takes a pretty special set of circumstances for me to mix epoxy in a customer's home. I just don't do it, unless there is no other reasonable option. Carpet + epoxy = disaster! And, the epoxy takes a couple hours to harden, but even then doesn't get full strength until after an overnight cure. I also had to drill the bushing holes out on the drill press. The bushing felt needs to dry for a while - I like to just let it dry overnight. (I actually bushed the holes a couple hours after I applied the epoxy.) So there are several reasons why this particular repair is best done in the shop.

Now I know one could use JB Weld or some other fast-setting putty-like epoxy. It may work just fine. I do know that sometimes it can be difficult to get a good bond when applying that type of epoxy to small and/or hard-to-reach places. And in this case, the repair area is a high stress area. I just sleep much better when I use the two-step epoxy bonding process. I've seen joints fail when using only thick epoxy. One can bond a cleat to a boat deck with the two-step method with no other mechanical attachements and tie the anchor line to it and leave it out in a hurricane - I guarantee that if anything fails, it will be the line, the anchor, or the deck will rip away, but the cleat-to-deck joint won't fail!

"....and all this without so many of our modern tools and materials."

Exactly! No epoxy, only hide glue. Hide glue cleans up with water and dries in very short time. I use hide glue. I love hide glue. In some applications however, epoxy has distinct advantages.

Besided, if that were not the case, Epoxy Man would be lonely - just like the Maytag repair man!   ;-)

Terry Farrell
  I didn't understand the last comment: "... although not [a fix] to do in a customer's home."

  Why do you feel that way? I think sometimes we are called upon to do this sort of thing as a kind of high art form. I brings to mind the 19th and early 20th century tuners who packed their whole "shop" in a couple of saddle bags and made big circuits throughout rural America. They must, of necessity, have become very clever at repairing, remanufacturing, replicating, and adapting parts -- and all this without so many of our modern tools and materials.

  Alan Barnard
  Salem, Missouri