Dealing with bridge damage.

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 25 11:09:44 MDT 2006

I've been maintaining a 4 year old D for this concert season at the
local community college.  Almost every service I end up working on
the treble bridge.  I've ultra-thin CA-treated the bridge pins to
great benefit.  Closer investigation revealed that the persistent
culprits had been victims of savage "string-seating".  Some were
beating so wildly as to be practically un-tunable.  In desperation
(concert in an hour) I treated one with gap filling CA glue.  It
worked, but not without a price.  I've been planning to fix this
bridge damage with a hard epoxy, selection process still ongoing
(advice welcome and hereby solicited).  The string stopped beating
but lost a little of its "sizzle."  I'm guessing that the CA isn't
hard enough (or hadn't fully set).  Mind you, with the strings
working in unison, I have more power after the treatment than
before.  I've since done a few more that were obviously damaged.  I'm
watching to see how they do long-term.  I don't see how I can re-cap
the bridge with the plate still in.  Has anyone else tried to do this?

There is a little beating throughout this section and it does seem to
be impedance related (heavy object in contact with bridge ameliorates
it).  Probably why there is so much bridge damage--an in determined
string-seating by a predecessor.  I am planning to do some work with
that after I get approval to hang brass under the bridge.  We have
also discussed a "treble tone resonator" (Pianotek belly brace) for
this as well.  I have thought that placing a heavy weight against the
belly rail here might be a test that could confirm whether or not
this part would be a useful addition.  They do want some audible
demonstration of the advantage of the expensive part.  There is a
lack of sustain and power in the fifth and lower sixth octaves.

Overall the faculty is ecstatic with the improvement in the piano and
I'm getting affectionate feedback that I must be nitpicking a
little.  I guess it is only a Steinway. :-X

Andrew Anderson