Petrof Grands

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Tue Apr 25 11:30:14 MDT 2006

Hi RIc
   The short version is that the geometry is really good.   It's like 5.2 to
1.  Problem is they then over tax the system with a hammer  that weighs way
too much.  ie.  Note 4- 12.5 grams note 40.--8.5  grams.
   Then they compensate with lead & wippen helper springs so  they end up
having an action that feels like to much intertia. Mostly with the  springs
  The real fix is to lighten or replace the hammers.  I vote  replace as the
old ones are funky.
  reweigh the keys without the helper springs hooked up but  allow  some
effect in your touch weight equation so that they only lift  about 10 grams.  This
will solve your problems & make the action play  like butter.  As far as I
can tell by they old & new examples I've  worke on personally, they have always
done it this way. GO figure.
  Dale

Hi List,
I am trying to find out more about Petrof grand actions and what  appears to
be a problem with their setting-up/geometry etc.  I recently  came across a 12
year old large grand which has potentially very good sound  qualities but a
lousy feel to the touch.  Whilst I need to go back and  carry out an in-depth
inspection to make further judgement, my limited  experience of Petrof grands
is that they generally have a question mark over  the touch.  There are some
quite negative comments on the web,  particularly from a team from a music
institution who tried out several  instruments.
Have any of you action geometry guys had experience of analyzing the  Petrof
action and doing any re-thinking on it?   This  particular one is quoted as
having a Renner action.
I would appreciate any leads on this before I venture quite a long  distance
to see it again.

Thanks,

ric

Dale  Erwin--Piano Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Calif 95357
Shop  209-577-8397
cell 209-985-0990
_http://www.Erwinspiano.com_ (http://www.Erwinspiano.com)  Specializing in
the Restoration,  Service & Sales of
Steinway, Mason & Hamlin, & other fine  pianos