square grand string replacement

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 15:56:05 MDT 2006

Two customers with "square grands" (yes Joe please go ahead and correct my
nomenclature) have appeared, both with several broken bass strings. In years
past I would have just brought them to my local bass string maker, but I am
now slightly more sensitive to the notion that the original core wire may be
different from what the average string maker is using. Lower breaking point
etc??
So, Joe Garrett or others equally well informed, who should I send these
strings to? What type of wire should I buy if I wish to make a splice repair
(most of them are broken at the loop), or is Mapes acceptable?
Any PTJournal articles on these pianos which I should look up? I don't think
I am set up to search the contents of the CDs, so references would help!
It's been a very long time since I've worked on a "square."
One of these beasts is from 1848; they've both got the oblong tuning pins
and I can't find that tip I bought 25 years ago and haven't used yet.
Thanks,
Patrick Draine