Bead blasting

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Tue Apr 25 20:11:44 MDT 2006

Hi Vladan,

I have a small cabinet that I use, and it is powered by a:

5.5 HP (peak)
1.7 HP (running)
9.9 CFM
150 PSI max
32 Gallon

compressor.

It has plenty of pressure to run my system, but the capacity is too small.
I would recommend at least a 60 Gallon compressor.  The problem with any
smaller compressor is that the motor has to run too much - gets pretty hot.
I used to use a 5 gal compressor and it worked too, but literally never
stopped running.  The 32 gets a break once in while (for a minute or two
only) then starts back up.  I would much prefer to have a system that is not
constantly running.  As I said, smaller units will work, but you have to
take more breaks.

With my 5 gallon, while cleaning keysticks, I could do about 3 sticks, wait
for the pressure to build (wait longer if I wanted to let the motor rest),
and go again.  VERY VERY tedious.  With the 32 Gal. I can do a set straight
through, but often take a break halfway to let the motor rest and cool.  60
gallons will come next, after a few other toys ;-]

Best,
William R. Monroe