Packrats-R-Us

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Thu Apr 27 11:41:57 MDT 2006

Friends,

I think piano techs are genetically predisposed to be packrats. Some of us
pick up waif pianos, etc. and bring them home in hopes of giving them a
better/second/third life (guilty).  Stockpiles of used/strange parts and
supplies are never far away, but it seems that some techs (not necessarily
on this list) throw away customers from time to time in a culling process.

I just got a call from a customer, and I even vaguely remembered where she
lived, etc.  Good thing I have an "oldnames" {a.k.a. -
never-throw-anything-away-including-names} file.  Turns out I did a "free"
tuning on a Yamaha P22 in June '95 and a second in March '96.  Saturday, I
get to see if anybody's been there since...

Decennial customers may not bring in a bunch of money, but at least I'm
prepared pschycologically prepped for what I may encounter and _every_
tuning is a donation to my vacation fund... ;-}}}}}

Conrad Hoffsommer

All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.