superglue burning eyes

Mark Schecter schecter at pacbell.net
Thu Apr 27 20:09:03 MDT 2006

Hi, Don.

I looked at the link you provided, and while I'm not altogether certain,
I think it's saying that the formaldehyde is a byproduct of hydrolysis
resulting from degradation of the polymer after it's in situ for some
period of days, not during curing. To wit:

"Hydrolytic degradation of polymers (e.g., cyanoacrylate polymers) to
smaller oligomers involves a hydrolysis reaction. Release of
formaldehyde as a by-product of cyanoacrylate hydrolytic degradation and
the resultant cytotoxic or histotoxic effects have been reported and
documented in research and medical journals (Trott, 1997)."

   and also

"We recommend that you report results for these by-products of material
decomposition present in saline extract at 50°C for a period of 15 days
via Gas and/or Liquid Chromatography. The analytical procedure should be
sensitive to ppm level."

I've looked at several Material Safety Data Sheets, and they all warn
against irritation of mucous membranes from fumes, but so far I've not
found any that talk about toxicity of the fumes. For example:
http://tinyurl.com/jfult

Are you sure that what we smell is formaldehyde? Thanks.

-Mark Schecter