"Impossible" accomplished: silicone successfully subdued during refinishing!

gordon stelter lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 29 16:31:53 MDT 2006

     I had to refinish the rosewood lid on this 1880
Chickering that was soaked with silicone from
innapropriate polish use. Not only had its last
( crummy ) refinishing job puckered and cratered like
crazy due to the stuff, but even more had been applied
since then ( Probably 30 years ). It was   mess!
     Several people said "The only way to get rid of
this is to add pure silicone to your lacquer." I
understand that this works, but truly hate to do it
because it contaminates your gun and shop forever, and
increases the chance that the next sucker to refinish
the thing ( if there is one ) will curse you.
     So I stripped the thing several times with
Citra-Strip (TM) and alcohol, with final washes with
lacquer thinner, scrubbing the wood with the grain
with a fine-bristle brass brush. Wiped again with
lacquer thinner, etc., until shop rags wiped clean.
    Went through several gas masks and pairs of
gloves, too. I don't believe in destroying my brain,
liver and pancreas for a mere piano! Too many of my
acquaintances have died young this way. And it hurts!
     Sanded, used Minwax water-based "Stain Prep", and
applied Minwax water-based stain, wiping off the
excess. ( Looked great! ) Sprayed greatly thinned out
sealer coat of N.C. sanding sealer, applied Dark
Walnut paste wood filler, sanded off residue and top
layer of sanding sealer after assiduous wiping,
sprayed another thinned coat of sealer and topcoats.
Not one pucker, ripple or crater. Not one. I was
delighted!
     It did blush on the sealer coat a bit,
especilally in specific areas, indicating that there
was some silicone interference, still.  But I sprayed
a thin,50/50 coat of lacquer redducer and lacquer
thinner, and this went away.
     Next time, though, I'm serously considering
water-based finishing! The xylene, especially, they
put in stuff today, will send you to another planet
for several days if inhaled. Not a nice planet,
either!
     Thump