Help scaling

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Tue Aug 1 17:53:30 MDT 2006

In a message dated 7/31/2006 7:37:38 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
jkanter at rollingball.com writes:
I will need to examine the pin block to determine tuning pin size. (Can I
measure a hole nondestructively, i.e. without pounding a pin into it?)
Jason,

Basket case pianos pose special problems for the rebuilder, as much valuable
information is lost. Some of it can be reconstructed or re-engineered, but it
isn't easy. If I'm not the one to destring a piano, I won't string it without
a new pinblock. Too many unknowns. Every time I try to save the client money
in this kind of situation, I wind up wishing I'd been more hard-headed.

If you really have to string this block, you might use a 2/0 pin (or maybe a
1/0) as a sort of gauge. If it was originally strung with 2's, the pin will
probably go in about half an inch without any pressure. If all the holes feel
the same, you might be able to get by with boring for a larger size. I haven't
had much luck with the spoon bit type reamers - I'd rather use a drill. This
will cut a new, untapered hole. Problem is, the drill to use (probably one of
the letter sizes) depends on the hardness of the block. You'll want to have more
than one pin size on hand, and go up two sizes.

Also, since you don't know how long the original pins were, or how deep they
were driven, you need to make sure your oversize pins don't go deep enough to
hit the little shelf in the hole where the old pins stopped. Either use
shorter pins or don't drive them too deep. You don't want the pin to be tightest at
the bottom

Happy detective work,
Bob Davis