Broken string Procedures

John M. Formsma john at formsmapiano.com
Thu Aug 3 20:56:44 MDT 2006

Phil,

First, I always try to splice when I can. But on a new wire I usually leave
it open, and leave it sharp 2-3 beats. This is after all the squeezing,
stretching, and pounding that is appropriate. (Where is that magic place
where it will settle perfectly in tune - is there such a place?? Generally,
the customer is OK with me coming back when I'm in the area since I drive a
good distance to most locations.

I usually try to get back within 2-3 weeks, and I don't normally charge
anything unless I'm making a special trip. I figure a little extra on the
front end which helps to cover time on the return trip.

I don't know what is the optimum time to wait. Sometimes I'll tell the
customer to call me when it starts sounding really bad. That helps remind
me, and keeps them listening.

Muting is a good idea, and I've done it in pianos when I will not be
returning to that area for quite some time.

JF