tuning

david at davidandersenpianos.com david at davidandersenpianos.com
Fri Aug 4 09:32:15 MDT 2006

> HI Everyone,
> I notice that there are two schools of thought on tuning, tuning a pure
> octave, or tuning octaves to partials.
Well, it's not like that, Marshall. It's tuning a pure octave or
stretching the octave slightly higher in the treble, slightly lower in the
bass. It's not dependendent on "whole tone listening" or partial matching.

  How does everyone here tune, a
> pure octave or do you add beats to it?
I stretch---to make the piano sound "right" to me, to sound musical.

 I spoke with someone today who
> said that tuning to the whole sound or note isn't accurate.  What books
> other than Reblitz address these two methods of tuning?
> Marshall

Whole tone tuning, when practiced by a good tuner, is incredibly accurate.
 Whoever made that statement to you is ignorant on the point,  with all
due respect. PTG sells a little book by Virgil Smith about tuning that
will set you straight, I believe.

David Andersen