upright voicing procedure

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 4 11:54:36 MDT 2006

Ed,
I'm assuming that you are talking about an older upright with a hard sound.
Soft bristle brushing and or vacuum cleaning of hammers as needed.
I start (when I can a day in advance) by putting a drop of rubbing
alcohol on each of the string grooves on the hammers to un-compact
the felt a little.  Some do a moist (not wet) rag and a quick pass
with an iron.  (Careful here, too much on some old uprights and you
will have something resembling cotton balls...don't ask.)  This does
get the whole hammer whereas the dropper method targets the affected area.

Then file away to re-shape the hammers (if flattened) to a strike
point as opposed to a strike zone.  You will end up getting rid of
any deep string grooves but that isn't the point of re-shaping (don't
flatten a hammer to de-groove).  Get that nifty hammer shaping tool
from Mother Goose and then fit the hammers to the strings.  Ie. when
the hammer is lightly pressed against the strings, plucking will not
reveal an open string.  (This fitting will reduce noise and tuning
problems (phase beating) in uprights to an extent that is rewarding,
surprising really.)

Then needle voice.  Schaff sells a tool with a swivel head that
allows voicing in the piano.

Andrew