tuning

Ron Koval drwoodwind at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 4 17:45:43 MDT 2006

I'll 'fess up to being in the whole tone camp as well...

The research I've done graphing the individual inharmonicity of groups of
strings in pianos has led me to believe that while listening or testing for
partial matches between octaves is very precise, (in a micro-sense) it
doesn't lead to a more musical tuning.  Again, I stress the difference
between precision and accuracy.  Only by using the ear in the "better or
worse" mode to find the best (or least bad!) placement for the octaves will
lead to the most musical tuning of that particular instrument. (more
accurate placement for octave stretch in the macro-sense.)

I think the aural community has responded to the early precision of
machine-tunings to come up with methods that match the temperament
smoothness - all the while training the technicans' ear to expect, test and
appreciate that particular approach - at the expense of beautifully matching
single, double and triple octaves.

Ron Koval
Chicagoland