Steinway D water damage

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Fri Aug 4 19:16:08 MDT 2006

<< my worst fear is a crack in the pin block in the affected area, which if
true, obviously needs to be repaired prior to re-stringing. <<

      I cannot remember the last time I saw a cracked STeinway pinblock.  The
holes get loose, and every now and then you will see a loose bit of the
bottom of the lamination, but a crack?  Not often.

>>we need to make sure the pin block is absolutely dry before condemning it.
Then, I plan to remove the offending pins to (maybe?) permit further drying -
and try replacing them with slightly larger (or at least inserting a sleeve)
to see if I can get the piano to hold pitch on those spots. <<

I would advise against the sleeve, and why wait?  I would take the pins out,
right now, and let it sit at least a week.  Then, depending on what a 3/0 pin
feels like, I would probably swab the holes with very thin penetrating epoxy,
let that set, and then restring with the best feeling pin.

>>If all goes well, I can proceed with the string replacement and rust
cleanup.  If not, I suppose we're looking at a pin block replacement. >>

Depends on how many band-aids you want to try.  If there are only three bad
pins, I could see plugging the holes and redrilling them before a complete
pin-block replacement.  Would the money be better spent on action work ?
REgards,

Ed Foote RPT