Backcheck noise

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Sat Aug 5 17:15:01 MDT 2006

Well... grin... either its a backcheck noise or its not.  I've been
fooled on more then one occasion in thinking that a noise comming from
one place when it ends up coming from another.

Classic example is getting fooled by a loose knuckle. This can actually
sound exactly like a loose hammer clicking on the shank.  Go figure...
but I assure you it can.

Seems like there's been a few suggestions as to how to go about assuring
it has to do with the tail / backcheck interface.  Perhaps try the
process of elimanation tactic ??  Rule out what you can... and if its
still there start looking elsewhere.

Cheers
RicB

------------
That's more like it.  Done all those things.

David Love

 > Click like but not exactly a click.  Hard to describe.
 >
 > David Love

A sort of "chiff" maybe? How rough are Steinway tails these
days? We don't have a dealer here, and I don't see many new
ones. Besides the possibility of glue under the leather, and
the drop of CA at the wire entrance points of the check head
and key, I'd smooth the tail on a noisy one, then wire brush
the check leather to see if either made a difference. One
thing at a time, test, etc.
Ron N