Damper Tray Problem/missing spring?

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun Aug 6 08:02:12 MDT 2006

At 5:46 am -0700 6/8/06, Tom Sivak wrote:

>Maybe is there a spring missing that I don't know about?  Should
>there be a spring that holds the tray in the downward position that
>perhaps has come off sometime during the restringing, etc.?

Can't remember how M&H do it but it would be normal to have either a
strong coil spring in the centre of the tray (like Steinway) or else
a strong leaf spring secured to a block screwed to the key-bottom and
pushing down on a leather pad at the treble end.  Either way you
should be able to see where something's missing.

Are you missing a coil spring underneath between the key-bottom and
the lever the pedal rod raises?  It sounds as if the weight of the
pedals is pushing the lever up and you have missed the spring there.

JD