bechstein

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Tue Aug 8 01:49:36 MDT 2006

Ric,

Hi David.

Looks like you are getting some different readings this time around.
One of the problems with Stanwoods approach is the reliance on taking
really consistant UW/DW readings. Friction and regulation problems tend
to muck up the picture a lot and it takes a lot of practice for many to
get consistant readings. Of course consistant UW/DW readings is rather
alpha and omega to the whole process.  When I was first learning this I
started taking the same 10 sample notes and measured 3-4 times a day
inbetween doing other things. I was suprised to see how different each
set of measurements read out.

As to the Key Ratio.  A higher ratio key will require more work at the
key front, but you will move whatever is at the capstan a greater
distance. This also means that for the same speed of key front movment
the capstan will move faster (as it moves a greater distance in the same
period of time). Lower the key ratio and your finger will have an easier
job of it, but you dont get as much movement distance wise (and hence
speed wise) at the capstan.

Cheers
RicB

I did the numbers again:

#1         6.0
#2         5.8
#9         5.9
#10        6.0
#16        5.4
#17        5.8
#28        5.7
#29        5.7
#40        5.5
#41        5.6
#52        5.7
#53        6.0
#64        5.7
#65        5.3
#76        5.6
#77        6.1
#87        5.5
#88        5.3

Averages out to 5.7

Looks like the bass needs the balance rail shimming...17 note bass.

Is a higher Key ratio mean better or worse leverage?    5.5 vs 6.0

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA  94044