1/2 punching

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 8 12:24:06 MDT 2006

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA 94044

Original message
From: "Jurgen Goering"
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: Re: 1/2 punching

David - I have been off list for a few days, so please excuse the late response to this thread. I believe the key balance point is an area that has often been overlooked in regards action refinement. For years I have been replacing the thick, spongy balance rail punchings with thin ones made out of 1.0 mm bushing cloth, for better regulation ease and stability, but especially to cut down on energy loss at the key fulcrum through compression of the balance rail punching. For almost a year I have been offering a new balance rail punching made out of a higher density Crescendo felt (not cloth). There is minimal compression on these 1.4 mm (.056") punchings. I have had nothing but positive feedback from technicians. The cut-off punchings, (which I call "Accelerated) cost $1.00 more per set, for those technicians who want to try the effects of that old technique. More info at http://www.pianofortesupply.com/cresbalpunch.html Jurgen Goering Piano Forte Supply (250) 754-2440 info at pianofortesupply.com http://www.pianofortesupply.com On Aug 5, 2006, at 6:15 AM, David Stanwood wrote: I noticed in Rochester that Jurgen Goering at Piano Forte Supply in Canada was selling cloth balance rail punchings cut just to the edge of the hole,.... enough to reduce the ratio while leaving something to keep the punching on the pin. His feeling was that the punching would have no reason to rotate once in place and said it was an old technique. Maybe Jurgen can share some of his history with the technique. Regards, David Stanwood