Bridge as a 2nd class lever

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Wed Aug 9 10:42:22 MDT 2006

Hi Gene.

Yes, thats more or less the general description I remember.  The
printouts I'm interested in were not in the handout, but were lying on
the table in front. He did show each of them as part of his talk on the
matter.  I was just wondering if anyone had copies of these they would
be kind enough to send my way.  I believe these were based only on a
modeling of the concept and that no actual measurements have been taken.

Cheers
RicB

Ric,
As I recall from Ron's class the concept was that the treble end of the
bridge - under load - acts as a fulcrum - it transfers  bearing load to the
curved part of the long bridge in the killer octave area. The case being
made that more bearing load happens there than you would think.
The only formula on the handout was for sizing ribs as support beams and
deflection under load.
I can scan it into Word if you like - I do not think that Ron would mind.
Gene